My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)

My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)
NY NJ PA MD VA KY IL MO KS CO UT NV CA

Make a Difference

I'm pedaling for many reasons, the most important of which is to raise awareness and funds for Pedals For Progress. P4P is a non-profit that collects used bicycles and sewing machines in the US and donates them to poor people overseas. P4P combines my love of bicycling with my growing concern for those deprived of life's most basic necessities - sparked by a visit to the slums of Kibera in June '09 (pictures). P4P improves mobility and economic options for destitute people, opening pathways to greater dignity and opportunity.

Please make a donation, if you can (please write "TSQ2USQ" in the '...honor of' field). Remember, a bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses. :)

My Game Plan

I'm following portions or all of three routes mapped out by the Adventure Cycling Association: the Atlantic, TransAm, & Western Express. I'll cycle through thirteen states: NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV & CA! I'm leaving on 4/17/10, and expect to return to New Jersey by mid June - back to my family, friends, & neighbors. I plan on cycling 5 - 6 hours per day, 6 days/week, usually starting in the early AM. My laptop and phone will allow me to work remotely most days, but I won't pass up opportunities to smell the roses along the way!


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 10

Today's Route: GPS Tracks

Stayed in Marion, VA last night, an unremarkable town, at least what I saw of it. Ate at an unremarkable Mexican place across the street from my unremarkable hotel. Felt strong on the bike except for the last 10 or so miles, in part because the wind wasn't fighting me and in part because many of the grades were not too steep - kinda like riding out west - despite nearly 7,000' of elevation gain. It was a welcome change from yesterday. I also enjoyed coffee and a lunch break at Zazzy's, my kinda coffee shop, located in the historic town of Abingdon.

The day went well until the end, starting with a brutal climb in the rain, off of 58 Alt into Wise, where I snapped a few pics of UVA Wise. I thought the ride was over when I arrived at the Best Western and tried to book a room. No vacancy. Who would have figured? The hotel was filled with w/ construction workers. Turns out the area is thriving, in large part because of the *huge* (585 MW) coal fired power plant being built down the road. Interestingly, for me at least, this coal plant will be capable of using biomass (wood) for up to 20% of it's fuel. I booked a room over the phone at the Super 8 (this trip's lodging strategy: clean room + low rate), and got fantastically lost getting there. Google was about 5 miles off re: the hotel's location. Ended the day w/ a few beers and a pleasant conversation with the bartender at the otherwise deserted Inn at Norton bar. 










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like you have some ragged and gravel-ly shoulders to contend with. Good thing you are watching the pavement, the scenery can be scary.
Love, MOM