My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)

My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)
NY NJ PA MD VA KY IL MO KS CO UT NV CA

Make a Difference

I'm pedaling for many reasons, the most important of which is to raise awareness and funds for Pedals For Progress. P4P is a non-profit that collects used bicycles and sewing machines in the US and donates them to poor people overseas. P4P combines my love of bicycling with my growing concern for those deprived of life's most basic necessities - sparked by a visit to the slums of Kibera in June '09 (pictures). P4P improves mobility and economic options for destitute people, opening pathways to greater dignity and opportunity.

Please make a donation, if you can (please write "TSQ2USQ" in the '...honor of' field). Remember, a bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses. :)

My Game Plan

I'm following portions or all of three routes mapped out by the Adventure Cycling Association: the Atlantic, TransAm, & Western Express. I'll cycle through thirteen states: NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV & CA! I'm leaving on 4/17/10, and expect to return to New Jersey by mid June - back to my family, friends, & neighbors. I plan on cycling 5 - 6 hours per day, 6 days/week, usually starting in the early AM. My laptop and phone will allow me to work remotely most days, but I won't pass up opportunities to smell the roses along the way!


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 2 | PA & Mechanicals



Farewells to mom, Jim and Jeremy outside the Stockton Inn this AM, then entered PA via Lambertville/New Hope. I've fond memories of this area - autumn bike rides and the summer Shad festival. Beautiful ride through Bucks County; rolling hills, blue skys, red buds and daffodils in bloom, and many lovely homes. Met a few bikers along the Schuylkill bike trail, a few guys heading to a race and Fred Brown, who no longer mountain bikes due to a back injury. Had what I thought was a minor mechanical in Valley Forge Park, a broken chain. Problem is, the link on the chain appeared to have broken when it somehow collided with the front deraillure, bending the deraillure in the process and rendering 2/3 of my gears inoperable. Luckily there was a bike shop a few miles away...so her I sit, updating my blog while Pheonix Bike Shop hopefully fix my ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve: This is a great blog. I have checked the day 1 & 2 tracks and I can imagine the joy of being on the road. Soon, the road should open up and you should get some fast straight-aways. But, was your top speed really over 70mph??? Too fast down the hills. Watch for face plants at that speed, could be not pretty. I'm so glad to be able to follow you, virtually.
Lots of Love, MOM

jeremy doppelt said...

Famous-thanks for letting me ride w/ you on day one. It was great riding w/ you and hanging w/ you and you mom and Jim. Here's to great riding, good weather, the wind at your back and an amazing journey. If you really maxed at 70mph, I will have to have the police find you and issue a citation for dangerous biking! Keep the posts coming. Its not even close to being there but its still great reading.

Steve Fahmie said...

70 MPH would be nice; it's just bad Garmin data. I've been limiting downhill speeds to ~35 max. Lots of weight in the panniers makes for slower stopping, and I want to make it to CA w/o any additional scars.

!!Thanks for all your support!! :)