My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)

My Route, More or Less (Red line, but starting in NY)
NY NJ PA MD VA KY IL MO KS CO UT NV CA

Make a Difference

I'm pedaling for many reasons, the most important of which is to raise awareness and funds for Pedals For Progress. P4P is a non-profit that collects used bicycles and sewing machines in the US and donates them to poor people overseas. P4P combines my love of bicycling with my growing concern for those deprived of life's most basic necessities - sparked by a visit to the slums of Kibera in June '09 (pictures). P4P improves mobility and economic options for destitute people, opening pathways to greater dignity and opportunity.

Please make a donation, if you can (please write "TSQ2USQ" in the '...honor of' field). Remember, a bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses. :)

My Game Plan

I'm following portions or all of three routes mapped out by the Adventure Cycling Association: the Atlantic, TransAm, & Western Express. I'll cycle through thirteen states: NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV & CA! I'm leaving on 4/17/10, and expect to return to New Jersey by mid June - back to my family, friends, & neighbors. I plan on cycling 5 - 6 hours per day, 6 days/week, usually starting in the early AM. My laptop and phone will allow me to work remotely most days, but I won't pass up opportunities to smell the roses along the way!


Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 29

Pueblo, CO

Slept well. Booked a red eye. Booked a car. Drove up to Colorado Springs to hike with Mark and Steph, two new mountain biking friends who I'll be riding with in Moab, UT in Oct. We did a great hike up a very steep incline, then ran down. I managed to keep up w/ Mark, who tore down the mountain. Had a great salad and beers at a pub in Manitou, CO. Headed up to Mark's place - which is kind of a private resort complete w/ rock climbing wall, driving range, and all sorts of outdoor diversions. We mountain biked in the remarkably beautiful trails around Mark's house, trailed by Mark's son Austin on his unicycle. The east facing hills were covered in lush grass and wildflowers; I seriously wanted to pitch a tent, and was sorry I left my camera at the house. Thanks for taking the afternoon off, Mark! Good times!

I'll probably come back for the next leg of my westward journey in late Sept / early Oct, just before my Moab, UT trip. Mark suggested I ride the Kokopelli Trail into Moab. Sounds like a *great* idea. Moab's not quite on my route to San Fran, but it's more or less due west of Lane County, KS, where I'll resume my ride. I s/ be able to figure out how to get back on route from Moab w/o adding on too many extra miles!


Please donate to Pedals for Progress: https://payments.auctionpay.com/ver3/?id=w043522

4 comments:

DispensingYoga said...

so when is the welcome home party at Chez Steve?

Steve Fahmie said...

Not until I complete the entire journey...after I come back from San Fran. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve.
Unfortunately days and days go by without time to check your blog, and now you're headed back to Hoboken! Any idea of what your tires were going flat over? It may be the pesky "thistle" which invariably gets me EVERY season! Love the flower, hate the thorns. Still anxiously awaiting your arrival in California. See you soon!
Love ya - JA

Steve Fahmie said...

Hey Joyce. I think something on the road caused my tire to go flat the first time, then the pataches I used (Slime Skabs) kept failing. I've heard about those thistles. They are notorious. Lookin forward to seeing u in CA too! I'll be back on the road in late Sept, but probably won't complete the ride then. Cheers! Steve.